For those who have stayed with us at Inn on Lake Wissota, you know muffins are offered each morning to those who would like to start their day out with a little something sweet. Is there any better way to wake up than to the smell of fresh coffee brewing and muffins baking? The first Valentine’s Day we had the B&B I was in search for a special muffin recipe to commemorate this special occasion for our guests. I happened to find a recipe submitted by Picky Jessica on allrecipes.com for Valentine’s Day Strawberry Muffins. The fun thing about these muffins is you slice either end of the strawberries so they look like a heart. You know, sometimes it’s just the little things in life that warm my heart, and these muffins are one of those things! Anyway, this recipe is a keeper, so I thought I would share it with you.
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 scant cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 12 slices fresh strawberry (I use 12 strawberries for this and take 2 thin slices from either side of the strawberry to get a heart shape)
- 1 TBS white sugar or gourmet sugar (large crystals)
- Mix lemon juice with as much milk needed to measure 1 cup; let the soured milk stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit (175 celcius).
- Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time; add the lemon extract.
- Gradually stir in the lemon zest and soured milk.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl.
- Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups to about 2/3 full.
- Place a strawberry slice on top of each muffin and sprinkle with some of the 1 TBS white sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before serving warm.
Sometimes after I’ve made a recipe a few times I like to make some changes to try some new flavor combinations. For this recipe I have substituted cherries for the strawberries and almond extract for the lemon extract. I don’t bother with topping the muffin with sliced cherries, instead I sprinkle sliced almonds on top of the muffin after I have sprinkled the sugar. For St. Patrick’s Day I may try some dark chocolate chips with mint flavoring. Don’t be afraid to try something new, remember, a recipe is a guideline, it’s not carved in stone.
I hope you enjoy this Strawberry Muffin recipe as much as we do here at Inn on Lake Wissota. We hope to greet you soon as one of our guests.